From: Daryle Walker (darylew_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-02 19:54:24

On 9/29/04 6:55 PM, "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> "Jonathan Turkanis" <technews_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>>>
>>> As long as we're tweaking the BoostBook look-and-feel, I'd like to know the
>>> status of the "portable JavaScript index tree" project we were discussing
>>> recently. I've even forgotten who was working on it (shame on me).
>>
>> That would be me. :-)
>>
>> The docs are here: http://tinyurl.com/6tdvy. It's essentially finished,
>> except for two points:
>>
>> 1. If it's integrated into Boost.Book, the documentation can be
>> self-synchronizing, eliminating most need for the [link to this page] button.
>> I think Reece Dunne did some work in this direction.
>>
>> 2. I'm planning to write a perl script which will make documentation written
>> with the tree control self-synchronizing even if it's not generated by
>> Boost.Book.
>
> ggggggggghhh, Perlllll...
>
>> To understand what I mean by synchronization, see http://tinyurl.com/49hwe.
>>
>> Also note that the docs look better when the boost logo appears directly over
>> the table of contents, as it does here: http://tinyurl.com/3p79x.
>
> That is a beautiful piece of work. I don't know what the next step
> is, but maybe it would be a good idea to take an informal poll. Does
> anyone actually object to the idea of integrating this thing into the
> official Boost documentation?

Yes, I object. I prefer not to have frames. The lettering Jonathan used
was too small for my tastes. The lettering size can be fixed, but both the
frames had horizontal scroll bars for some of his combinations of HTML code
(even with the tiny text). That demonstrated the potential rendering
nightmares frames can cause.

I've seen some web pages that use CSS to define two "frames" seamlessly, but
in the same file. See the <http://synopsis.fresco.org> page mentioned in
another thread. That looks cooler, and it degrades better when printing (or
for accessibility). You can also have the two columns next to each other
without the "frame" effect, _and_ without a huge "table" layout. See the
various pages at <http://www.mozilla.org> for that effect, including
mastheads.

Could those seamless content tables still use JavaScript?

--
Daryle Walker
Mac, Internet, and Video Game Junkie