From: martin.ecker_at_[hidden]
Date: 2004-10-19 07:48:27

Hello,

Russell Hind wrote:
> I have successfully built serialization as dlls under bcc32 by
> duplicating the two 'lib' sections in the JamFile and renaming them to
> dll and then adding the <dll>libboost_serialization and
> <dll>libboost_wserialization to the install and stage sections.

Unfortunately, simply building boost::serialization as DLL under
Windows is not enough because the extended RTTI objects for a class
are duplicated in each module/DLL. This is because the static extended
type info instances are defined in header files, and under Windows
this will cause an instance to be created for each module that
includes that header file.

This effectively means that serializing a class defined in one DLL
from another DLL will not work properly. I've made some changes to
boost::serialization that allow DLL builds and allow using the library
with
modules/DLLs (even when they are explicitly loaded/unloaded multiple
times), but these changes have not yet made it into CVS.

Regards,
Martin

TAB Austria
Haiderstraße 40