From: Darren Cook (darren_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-25 19:21:32

>>1) The logging code will be in the release build anyway (for all industrial
>>apps I've seen this is the case).
>
> Some logging is debug only and really shouldn't be in the release
> build. If the mechanism makes the overhead nothing more than a
> Boolean test, without side effect argument evaluation, etc., you
> could leave it in. Even then, each of those conditionals might
> trigger a bad guess by early stages of a process pipeline, so it
> might have deleterious effects on performance.

I agree. I frequently need logging code in an inner loop while trying to
track down a problem. Hhhm, though I suppose I'll remove the log line once
the bug is fixed anyway.

> It may be that the best approach is one that exposes two
> interfaces. One involves a macro that provides the smallest
> runtime overhead. The other might involve one or two C++
> functions or types.

I like this idea. E.g. from Caleb's next mail:
     BOOST_LOG (log_name) << the << things << to << output;
     BOOST_LOGD (log_name, the << things << to << output);

where the LOGD version can be completely removed in a release build.

Darren