From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-27 21:01:09

hi there,

I'v recently run into a problem with 'catch(...)'
on MSVC 7.1, where a segmentation fault resulted
in a 'first-class exception' (!) that was caught
by 'catch(...)' even though the stack wasn't
unwound.
My first reaction was to abandon the use of 'catch(...)'
entirely, replacing it with a more specific equivalent
(which I believe to be better practice anyways).

However, browsing some boost code I now find
other people using such catch-all statements,
and so I'd like to get your feedback on how to
use it portably. Are my findings false concerning
MSVC's highjacked use of C++ exceptions for
program errors (i.e. POSIX' equivalent of
signals) ?

Thanks,
                Stefan