From: Markus Schöpflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-29 09:16:47

Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:

> Can I gently ask everybody to be more careful with integration of
> changes from the main trunk to the release branch? If you have to
> do it, please double-check everything (in particular, run the
> diffs) before committing the merged files.
>
> We've already got the new "boost/index.html" contents with *1.33.0*
> section stub in the release branch, and dealing with more of
> something like this is not going to help the release.

I'm wondering why the procedure isn't the other way round, eg. first check
in on the release branch and then merge the fix onto the main branch if it
affects the main branch as well.

Firstly, when I fix something in a release candidate branch (RC) I want to
test it in RC and check it in in RC (and not test it in MAIN and check it
in on MAIN and then merge to RC).

Secondly, no changes can go from MAIN to RC but only from RC to head. This
protects RC against such errors.

Thirdly, if I manage to mess up the merge process, usually only MAIN is
affected and not RC.

Markus