From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-10-30 00:43:30

OK

So we checking to the mainbranch, wait for testing to be completed and merge
changes to RC?

Where are the test results for the main branch to be found? All I can find
are those for the RC?

Robert Ramey

Markus Schöpflin <markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:
>
>> Can I gently ask everybody to be more careful with integration of
>> changes from the main trunk to the release branch? If you have to do
>> it, please double-check everything (in particular, run the diffs)
>> before committing the merged files. We've already got the new
>> "boost/index.html" contents with *1.33.0*
>> section stub in the release branch, and dealing with more of
>> something like this is not going to help the release.
>
> I'm wondering why the procedure isn't the other way round, eg. first
> check in on the release branch and then merge the fix onto the main
> branch if it affects the main branch as well.

We used to do it that way. People would check things in on the RC
branch without enough testing. At least if you check into the main
trunk first, you can find out if tests break before you merge into
the RC. Keeping the RC clean is a higher priority than keeping the
trunk clean.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting