From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-01 04:23:21

Eric Niebler writes:
> Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:
> > Eric Niebler writes:
> >>Should I edit all the HTML files to make them refer to the new style sheet?
> >
> > I'm afraid that would require approval from the corresponding authors of the
> > library.
>
> Good point.
>
> >>Or back out the style sheet for this release?
> >
> > I'd consider backing out on the fonts, and leaving everything else as is.
> >

> That doesn't appeal to me, but I'd be interested to hear other opinions.
> There was broad consensus on boost-docs that sans-serif was ultimately
> what we wanted for boostbook documentation.

Sure. But my point was that people might have perceived this as
BoostBook-specific discussion. The consensus might be different when the
issue is re-raised in the content of the common look & feel for *all* docs.
If you ask every library author not employing BoostBook for the docs at the
moment how they would feel about switching to the new look and feel, you
might see that in fact there is no consensus. At least I wouldn't make any
assumptions on this.

> I'm inclined to stick with it, live with the inconsistency for this release,
> and encourage people to port their docs to boostbook for the next one.

This may never happen, though.

> BTW, how come the "Nightly CVS" documentation (linked to from
> boost.org/) doesn't have the non-boostbook docs?

Because they are not nightly generated. But that's mostly an excuse for not
not having time to address the issue -- the very reason why the "Nightly CVS"
link is going to go from the main page in 1.32.

> And in general, it doesn't look much like the documentation in the tarball?

What do you mean? Looks perfectly the same for me.

> Seems that whatever process we're using to generate the docs for the
> release should be the same as what we use to generate the "Nightly CVS"
> documentation, so that any problems can be spotted early.

It _is_ the same process. If there is one thing that we are guilty of here,
it's not generating the PDF, and it has already bit us --
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/112563.

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering