From: Tarjei Knapstad (tarjei.knapstad_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-01 12:07:45

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 16:04, Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:
> Vladimir Prus writes:

> > > That's intentional. After all, normally you shouldn't be modifying
> > > anything in the distribution. Or should you?
> >
> > No unix source package I ever downloaded had read-only files.
>
> Could our long-time unix users confirm/negate this experience?

Confirmed.

> > That gives no protection, really.
>
> It prevents you from accidental editing/deletion.

But that's putting the protection in at the wrong level in unix-land.
For a system install, the files would be installed to a system wide
location by the root user and thus only be writable by root. If I'd like
to download boost and put it somewhere in my $HOME, I expect to be able
to do whatever I like to the files. I.e. experiment with the code (this
would not affect other users).

> > If I unintentionally remove some files, I can just reinstall.
>
> I'd rather be saved from that.

You are if you install boost as root (as you should if you're installing
it system wide on any unix installation).

Access control is more fine grained on unix - read only is only
applicable as a "security measure" on windows IMHO.

Cheers,

--
Tarjei