From: Hubert Holin (Hubert.Holin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-08 06:44:45

Somewhere in the E.U., le 08/11/2004

   Bonjour

In article <E1CQU5V-0007U7-00_at_[hidden]>,
 "Paul A Bristow" <pbristow_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]

      Compatibility is a nice thing, but I fear in this case it brings
more woe than weal. I would even go so far as to say that in this case
we would have been better served with formal provisions to make linking
with FORTRAN do the right thing... An let's not forget language support
for Inf and NaN (isnan, isinf,...) :-) .

> I consider it essential to follow their example.

      It is never necessary to follow other persons mistakes...

> (Perhaps you should check PJP's reasoning on this).
>
> So, despite that fact that I agree with you, I feel we must be pragmatic
> and face the facts.
>
> If I don't get agreement on this before I start, there is no point in
> continuing
> as the code will be rejected on review.
>
> Paul

      In this case, I believe that, perhaps, normalization is but a
secondary goal.

      We *absolutely* need a proper C++ stat library, one which is
cross-platform as much as can be. We do not need a C library (it already
exists!); we could, platform permitting, even use a FORTRAN one, if we
were so desperate to use any (good) stat library.

      Let's build it, and they will come! And if they do not come,then
at least we can actually work, and work in peace.

      As others (Thorsten Ottosen is the only one I can find now) in
this thread have suggested, you may want to add an additional header and
wrappers for C compatibility, but this is by no means a necessity.

   Merci

         Hubert Holin