From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-12 02:44:05

"Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote in message:

> In fact, many libraries will probably even omit the wpath overloads. If we
> could somehow combine path and wpath into one class, this would neatly
> sidestep this missing wpath overload problem. :-)

>From your smiley it looks like you might be joking, but I think this is an idea
worth exploring. Frustrated by repeated conversions of strings from narrow to
wide and back when passing them between various APIs, I once wrote a string
class which could store either a wide string or a narrow string, converting only
when necessary. This might be a reasonable strategy for paths. Constructors
could take either narrow or wide strings, and explicit conversion functions
string() and wstring() could be provided.

Jonathan