From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-15 18:34:52

At 11:43 AM 11/15/2004, Peter Dimov wrote:
>The bottom line is that, on a dual OS, if we get a narrow string from the

>user, we should ultimately pass a narrow string to the OS, and if we get
>wide string, we should pass a wide string. Everything else will be wrong
in
>some contexts.

You have pretty well convinced me! I'm off tomorrow on a three day business
trip, and I'll let the arguments rattle around in my head awhile to be
sure.

That still leaves the question of single path vs separate path and wpath
classes. A single path class looks very good in a lot of ways but we still
have to decide how to deal with this case on a dual narrow/wide O/S:

    path p( "foo" );
    p /= L"bar";

How about a rule that if any portion of a path is wide, the entire path
gets converted to wide?

I haven't tried to follow that through to see what the implications would
be.

What about directory iteration? Is that wide or narrow? Don't
directory_iterators have to come as two types, narrow and wide?

--Beman