Date: 2004-11-16 02:42:52

Mathew Robertson wrote:

>>the Lit Window Library is a layer above a widget library and allows you
>>
>>http://www.litwindow.com/library
>

> ie the first example (from "How RapidUI speeds up your development
work...") where some settings are loaded. The example is invalid as the
comparision is being done using operator>> vs. raw implementation code.

Err, sorry? Why is the example invalid because I am using the >> operator?

I could have used

write_config(config, s)

instead.

I think you may have missed the point: the operator >> (or write_config)
  is a generic function and will work with any data type!

So while you have to write code for ReadSettings/WriteSettings again for
every different actual 'Settings' definition, you don't have to do that
if you are using the generic function. You simply *use* (rather than
rewrite) write_config instead.

Don't mistake the operator>> used in the example for the standard
iostream operator >>. The example is not writing the 'Settings' class as
a binary blob. The operator >> is implemented by the lit window library
and it is not a template.

Or did I misunderstand you?

Also, regarding the relevancy of the examples and the concept, have you
had the time to look at the RssReader tutorial yet? Step 3 and 4 of the
tutorial will be especially interesting.

Here's the link to step 4

http://www.litwindow.com/lwl/doc/html/tutorial_step_4.html

Best regards and thank you for your comments

Hajo