From: Dave Gomboc (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-20 02:27:03

> Honestly, I don't need to serialize std::tr1::shared_ptr - why would
> any of us ever use it as long as we have boost::shared_ptr which (with
> serialization is a superset of std::tr1::shared_ptr.)

That's a completely bogus argument.

> I understand your objection to boost::serialization depending upon the
> implementation details of boost::shared_ptr. I just don't see any way to
> address this other than making big changes to either the serialization
> libary or shared_ptr. Even then, its not obvious to me that its even
> possible.

Doesn't Peter's own serialization library succeed in not requiring special
access to boost::shared_ptr? If so, it is an existence proof that there's
a way to do it, which I think means that big changes may need to be made
to Boost.Serialization. It will be a reasonable expectation for a
Boost.Serialization user to serialize std::tr1::shared_ptrs in the future.

Has Peter described the algorithm he used?

Dave