From: Rene Rivera (grafik.list_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-21 16:41:41

Jeff Garland wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:48:48 -0500, David Abrahams wrote
>
>>>If we were setting things for maximum usability I think you have to
>>>go to a dark backgrounds for all sections with white text for the
>>>whole page -- which I doubt we are prepared to do...
>>
>>Uhhh, that's a very personal idea of maximum usability. Studies have
>>shown that black on white works better (in aggregate, of course ;->).
>
> Perhaps. Here's a quick quote from the attached web-page:
>
> Text should be printed with the highest possible contrast. There
> is good evidence that for many readers who are older or partially
> sighted, light (white or light yellow) letters on a dark (black)
> background are more readable than dark letters on a light background.
> However, the traditional dark on light may be aesthetically preferable.
>
> Go to the page to see examples / research:
>
> http://www.lighthouse.org/print_leg.htm
> http://www.aprompt.ca/WebPageColors.html
>
> But no matter the research, we need to bow to the last line.

I think this phrase is more illuminating:

Several other important findings also resulted from the analysis
including the fact that light-on-dark color combinations were rated the
same as dark-on-light color combinations..

The key is to increase content contrast until it is readable by most of
the target audience. For the rest you rely on providing alternatives
that they can read. A more effective way to make sure it's readable by
the visually impaired is to adhere to the Section 508 standards. That
way those persons can apply their own style sheet that is readable to them.

By the way I have been making incremental changes to the contrast and
other minor elements. Just did not want to pollute the list with an
email for every change. Go visit the page once in a while to see if
things are more to your liking and post with comments.

> BTW, when I read a web page I like to 'select' the paragraph I'm reading which
> has the effect of inverting the text so black on white becomes white on black :-)

Neat.. I've done the same in many sites but in the other direction ;-)
It would be possible to provide such visual effects. But without
Javascript it only work on CSS1 compliant browser, i.e. not IE :-\

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything