From: Jeff Flinn (TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden])
Date: 2004-11-24 12:04:29

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> "Jeff Flinn" <TriumphSprint2000_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
>> Robert,
>>
>> The release notes page makes reference to:
>>
>> Differences from Draft #20
>> - Support for Argument Dependent Looup for serialization override
>> invocations.
>> - Enhanced documentation to help explain usage of the above.
>> Where might this be found? A link here would be useful.
>
> Its in the section "Reference/Class Serialization/Splitting serialize into
> save/load/namespaces.

I was expecting more on the issues associated with ADL here but didn't find
any such discussion in this portion of the documentation. I've hunted about
a bit and haven't found mention elsewhere, but that doesn't confirm that
it's not there. :)

> This aspect is something I'm unhappy about and will try to address in the
> next version. Unfortunately, like everything else, its not as easy as it
> appears.

I'm not sure if your refering to the documentation or to the actual
facilities.

I did find that #define'ing BOOST_NO_ARGUMENT_DEPENDENT_LOOKUP in each
translation unit where serialization functions/methods are instantiated
solve my std::set<std::string> problems as described in my other recent
postings. Also this resolves issues with VC7.1 compiler fatal errors due to
complexity.

So is using BOOST_NO_ARGUMENT_DEPENDENT_LOOKUP with VC7.1 a general
requirement? Does this have effect on other boost libraries?

Just to let you know, with the above #def I've successfully converted my
application to use boost 1.32.0 from 1.31.0 + serialization20. The other
change was ensuring that all my serialization methods used const unsigned
int version arguments. I think I had some without the const and without the
unsigned from earlier versions of the library.

Great job on the library and many thanks for all of your efforts.

Thanks, Jeff