From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-07 12:37:32

Hey OS X serialization people:

I have a workaround for the code itself:

The problems appear to have been in basic_xml_grammar.ipp,
specifically statements such as

Name = (Letter | '_' | ':') >> *(NameChar);

where presumably the template instantiations from the freestanding
operators (in the spirit library) were just a bit too much for the
compiler. If you refactor them as

rule_t StarNameChar = *(NameChar);
rule_t LetterOrUnderscoreOrColon = (Letter | '_' | ':');

Name = LetterOrUnderscoreOrColon >> StarNameChar;

then things compile fine in both debug and release mode. If you run
"top", you should see the vsize of the compiler top out at about 350M
on xml_grammar and at 450M or so on xml_wgrammar in release mode.
They do take a couple minutes each to compile.

With these changes, on my machine, all the xml-related tests compile
run and pass, in both debug and release mode, [with the exception of
test_demo_portable_archive, which I'm guessing is due to some other
issue, maybe its not even xml related... I'm outta time...]

You can get the changes at:

http://svn.resophonic.com/pub/boost/boost/archive/impl/basic_xml_grammar.hpp

and

http://svn.resophonic.com/pub/boost/libs/serialization/src/basic_xml_grammar.ipp

lemme know how it looks on your end, I have only one (slow) Mac to try
this stuff on...

- troy d. straszheim

By the way, spectactularly cool library, thanks Mr. Ramey...