From: Gennadiy Rozental (gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-07 14:54:21

> Personally I looked at Lois Goldthwaite's so far, as well as the pas
> mailing list discussions and Herb Sutter's Exceptional C++ Style #17

In my personal opinion, this Item ... well .. is not completely correct (at
best). It obviously doesn't cover class properties case and this is big
omission ( by class properties many people mean different things, but I mean
class data member for which you *required* to provide public read
and/or/possibly write access). In my experience properties are met very
frequently.

Another things is that I really hate T& direct_member_access()
pseudo-encapsulation interface. IMO it rather facilitate encapsulation
breakage by providing direct access to class internals. Even get/set
interface is better. But properties provide IMO interface that better then
all others.

The reason I stick to the simplest properties model (without custom get/set)
is that I found that in majority of the cases this is good enough. Though I
could definitely see a place for more advanced needs/solutions.

> for a variety of opinions on them, I think a Boost version makes sense
> as long as their is a public health warning about over indulgence :-)
>
> Kevin

Gennadiy