From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-08 13:42:03

All -

Since the base write-up of the OOPSLA results failed to spur really any
discussion, I've written up a small proposal to tweak the submission process
to include a mentor and to require a 'wiki under construction' page for each
library. I've posted this on the Wiki and included it here for discussion.
There are certainly more details to develop, but hopefully this email will
start the process ;-)

Jeff

----
http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?Proposed_Changes_To_Library_Submissions
The intent of this page is to serve as a focal point for disucssion of
potential changes submissions process
(http://www.boost.org/more/submission_process.htm).
=== Overview Of Proposed Process ===
* Learn about Boost.
* Determine interest.
* Add a Wiki Under Construction Page ('''new step''')
* Preliminary submission.
* Request Mentor ('''new step''')
* Refinement.
* Submission for review.
* Formal Review.
* Web site posting.
* People page.
* Lifecycle.
=== How Mentoring Might Work ===
The development of a boost library typically takes months/years from
conception to finally becoming part of boost. To sucessfully navigate the
obsticles requires lots of knowledge about how boost works.
The basic role of a boost development mentor is to guide a new library
developer thru the boost process.  In essence to provide someone to help give
new submitters a helping hand.  The expectation is that a library mentor might
spend a couple hours a month answering email questions to fulfill this role
(if it exceeds this then it this process will not be practical.  Almost all
the boost developers are very busy people and we are now adding another thing
to do).
Some specific functions include:
* Be a first reviewer / sounding board for the library developer
* Answer questions about boost processes
* Answer questions about boost build and other practices
* Make sure the new developer is following the submission process
Note that a new library developer is not restricted to using the mentor for
asking questions -- in fact, they should be encouraged to use the mailing
lists where a the larger group can help.
=== Wiki Under Construction Pages ===
One of the issues with the current Boost web structure is that it is quite
difficult to find out about libraries that are in progress and it is difficult
to others with similar interests.  It was suggested that we formally add Wiki
pages to track and organize this progress better.
While this already exists to some extent in the LibrariesUnderConstruction
Wiki page
(http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?LibrariesUnderConstruction),
this page would be linked from the Boost mainpage and each library under
construction would maintain it's own 'under construction page'.  I've
prototyped a new version of the under construction page
(http://www.crystalclearsoftware.com/cgi-bin/boost_wiki/wiki.pl?LibrariesUnderConstruction-New).
The idea is to keep the information on the main page small so that it can be
rapidly scanned. Details will go on the page associated with each individual
library. The page will have categories of development status as follows:
Review Pending
Stable but Evolving -- Not Yet Submitted for Review
Preliminary
On Hold
Abandoned
=== New Boost Vault ===
There is a new file storage area that new boost developers can use to share
their library with the world.
http://boost-sandbox.sourceforge.net/vault/