From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-09 19:32:22

At 04:50 PM 1/9/2005, Stefan Slapeta wrote:
>Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>> I asked on one of the committee reflectors, and the response was that
>> the library IBM licenses isn't what is being standardized, so there is
>> no issue. For C, what will be standardized are built-in data types, not

>> a library. For C++, what will be standardized may be a library, but it
>> will be designed for C++.
>
> From a user's perspective, yes. Internally, the solution will be based
>on the same C interface to enable any hardware support for the future,
no?

It isn't clear yet. It is possible that C will treat the three decimal
types as built-ins, while C++ will provide a library solution. That is
probably unlikely, but at this early stage it is still possible. Bill
Plauger is the point man for both C and C++ committees, and his thinking is
given in:

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2004/n1567.htm

Note that the operations available are not specified as a C interface, but
rather in a metalanguage. See:

http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/decimal/decarith.pdf

That document also explains the rounding modes available, exceptions, etc.

>> Sorry, I'm having trouble understanding your meaning. Are you saying in

>> effect that decimal types should have be standardized in C and C++ a
>> long time ago?
>>

>Yes, today there are some proposals for extensions that I bet are useful
>for _much_ less people than a decimal data type would be.

Both C and C++ committees are committed to decimal arithmetic technical
reports, so even though the details are as yet unclear, it is probable that
the two languages will get decimal arithmetic. A case of better late than
never, I suppose.

--Beman