From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-14 15:04:24

David Abrahams wrote:
> troy d. straszheim wrote:
>
>>troy d. straszheim writes: [in another thread]
>> > There are several different classes of problems, that I can see. I
>> > forget which files suffer from which problems at the moment.
>> >
>> > - a number of tests that excite the same or a similar compiler bug as
>> > basic_xml_grammar.ipp did, the compile never finishes, while the
>> > compiler leaks memory.
>>
>>I worked these out in the filesystem lib, they were of the "compile
>>never finishes", not the "run never finishes" variety. Hard to say if
>>these two were compiler "bugs", per se, but they took forever to
>>compile and the compiler took up >1G memory, not workable.
>

> Have you reported these problems to the Darwin GCC developers?

Absolutely... as I get them worked out I'm filing bugs and giving one of
the guys there a heads-up in private email.

I gotta say, this is really time-intensive work... I wonder if running
regressions "by default" in both debug and release mode might not be
good practice... It could be better to try to catch things like this on
the way in.

troy d. straszheim