From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-01-14 21:06:29

At 01:18 PM 1/14/2005, troy d. straszheim wrote:

>I worked these out in the filesystem lib, they were of the "compile
>never finishes", not the "run never finishes" variety. Hard to say if
>these two were compiler "bugs", per se, but they took forever to
>compile and the compiler took up >1G memory, not workable.
>
> > libs/filesystem/test/path_test.cpp
> > libs/filesystem/test/operations_test.cpp

Something is badly wrong with the compiler. GCC 3.3.1 on Windows XP never
uses more than 60 megs of memory for any filesystem compile. Other
compilers use even less.

I have vast respect for the GCC effort, but the compiler does have a
history of running away with memory. :-(

>These two files each just needed to be split in half, that's all.

It wouldn't hurt to refactor the filesystem tests, but that is going to
have to be done soon anyhow to cope with internationalization. In the
meantime, the incentive to modify them temporarily is very low.

--Beman