From: troy d. straszheim (troy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-02 15:24:27

David Abrahams wrote:
>> svk svk.elixus.org
>> Beta. Adds distributed capabilities to subversion. It is the Rodney
>> Dangerfield of version control systems: it doesn't get any respect.
>> However, I don't see any obvious problems with it.
>

> My biggest concern is that it might not be widely adopted. Subversion
> seems to be the de-facto successor to CVS, and therefore I think it
> has a strong future. Secondary concern: it's written in Perl (only
> half-joking). Tertiary concern: only on release 0.29

> That said, it seems as though you can use svk on top of a centralized
> svn repository (arx too?) so maybe people can get this sort of
> functionality even if we adopt svn?

Yeah, that's the point. It's a wrapper that you can do local commits
to. Personally I have no problem just keeping a mobile repository as
well and doing my commits to the mother archive via "cp" from local
checkout to mother checkout when I'm connected, but whatever, I guess
there svk offers some slickness if you want to mess with it.

> I'm not a "convert," and my experience with svn is limited. I'm still
> in the early phases of experience with it. SVN seems like the logical
> choice to me, but I'm open to considering others.

I have already done a couple of cvs->svn conversions for large projects.
  There is a bit of flexibility in how to do it... the offer stands to
do some test runs and make the svn archives open, to play with. This
way you can give the OSL guys a properly tweaked conversion script when
you're ready, not just have the archive dumped through cvs2svn. I
wonder specifically if boost would be best set up with toplevel
trunk/branches/tags, or if it would be best to do this somehow
per-library, linked up with svn:externals. Depends on what the CVS
archive's tags/branches/etc look like, this has a lot to do with it when
it comes to preserving this history information in the converted
archive. I just need a tarball of CVS.

-t