From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-03 20:26:42

Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
> Robert Ramey wrote:
>> add_facet got added to address a short-coming of the older dinkumware
>> library. It would not really be needed except for this.
>>
>> As to why I did it they way I did - I don't remember. I would guess
>> that I didn't want any more copying than necessary and this
>> implementation worked fine for me.
>
> Sounds reasonable. My guess is that the extra copy will typically be
> optimized away, but I haven't verified this.

Hmmm - I would have thought the way its done now ther would be no copying
necessary at all. Also, I checked the documentation (msvc 7.1) and it didnt'
show a copy constructor, I suppose I presumed erroneously that there was
one. For some reason I seem to think that copying a locale wasn't a good
idea as I was storing a copy in the archive - and I sort of remember some
issues when archives where deleted re garding the sequence of destruction.
Also I found a number of subtle difference in stream implementations that
really drove me crazy (of course that's why add_facet exists). On the other
hand maybe I just did it that way without thinking. oh well, I guess we'll
just have to test it.