From: Alan Gutierrez (alan-boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-04 00:35:32

* David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> [2005-02-02 14:28]:
> Walter Landry <wlandry_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> > David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I am just posting this here to alert those who look at subject lines
> >> to what we're discussing. To review the whole discussion, see
> >> http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?message_id=%3cuk6pujjyu.fsf%40boost%2dconsulting.com%3e
> >
> > One thread you might find interesting
> >
> > http://news.gmane.org/find-root.php?group=gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel&article=53583
> >
> > It talks about the troubles Mono had in going from CVS to Subversion.
> > YMMV.
>
> I agree, it's very interesting. I recommend that everyone interested
> in the transition read at least the first message in that thread.

    I'm not sure where to chime in, but I was just attempting to
    check out one of the Jakarta Commons sub-projects.

    Their directory structure is such that, if you want to checkout
    all of commons, you cant simply checkout trunk/commons, because
    you'll checkout every branch, ever.

    It looks like this:

    /huge-library-project
        /library-1
            /trunk
            /BRANCH_1
            /BRANCH_1_1
            /BRANCH_1_2
        /library-2
            /trunk
            /RELEASE_2_0
            /RC_2_0
            /RC_2_1

    Might be easier to manage a specific library, but it's hard on
    the non-commiter that want's to build from source control.

    In any case, I hope you'll consider carefully, the project
    structure when you move away from the tag based system in CVS.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan_at_[hidden]