From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-02-27 16:51:58

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:59:19 -0500, christopher diggins wrote

> > Now if you had policy-based
> > collections that would support full inheritability as an option and
> > implemented standard container interfaces -- that might be interesting ;)
> >
> > Jeff
>
> What kinds of policies would like to see?

Well inheritability is one. Allocation policies that work (I'm no expert but
some people think the current standard allocator is flawed). Element ownership
would be another. So if I have a collection of pointers and I want them
destroyed with the collection. Of course I think we have another boost
library that is now covering this space. There is probably some use for a
thread locking policy, although it is probably less useful than it might
appear since is usually more efficient in classes that wrap standard collections.

Once upon a time we had at least some discucssion of this:

http://lists.boost.org/MailArchives/boost/msg24761.php

Anyway, overall I'm not sure it's really worth going down this path. I'm
actually much more interested in seeing things like the tree container in
boost. Also, I think you and I probably have unfinished business to make
constrained_value a stand-alone library.

> PS: if you don't mind debanning me from the wiki my ip address is
> 66.130.149.217

Done. I got tired of the spam coming from 66.*.*.* so I banned them all --
sorry that was way too aggressive. I've removed all these 'aggressive bans'
for now to see how it goes.

> PPS : have you considered having a log-in for the Boost wiki?

No, but I wouldn't be opposed to considering such a thing. At some point in
the future (maybe middle of this year -- I'm hoping to be less busy then) I
plan on upgrading the Wiki software and at that point we might have a
discussion on the list about what other Wiki improvements we would like to
see. An RSS feed is one thing I've been thinking would be really nice --
although I hear it drives web traffic thru the roof.

Jeff