From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-01 15:22:54

Jarl Lindrud wrote:

>> What kind of code needs to be generated by the macros to support
>> your framework?

> You can see the macro definitions in the include/Idl.hpp file,

I know -- I was hoping you'd give me the Cliff Notes version ;-)

> it's
> mainly code to generate dispatch ID's, to invoke marshaling of
> arguments, and to invoke target member functions.

Okay, thanks.

> If it could all be subsumed under BOOST_IDL, that would be great.

Thanks, I think I will try to do this in the next revision.

I'd like to make underlying transport mechanism pluggable, so people can
implement other IPC mechanisms.

BTW, don't tell anyone, but I'm implementing OpenSSL wrappers for the iostreams
library, which might be used for the socket interface.

One last point is that Boost.Interfaces is not as portable as your current
implementation. For example, it works on GCC 3.4 but not GCC 3.2. When the
design is finished I will work on porting it to some currently unsupported
platforms, but there are limits: it will never work on Borland 5.x, for
instance.

> /Jarl.

Jonathan