From: Julio M. Merino Vidal (jmmv84_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-05 04:48:38

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 16:42 -0500, Caleb Epstein wrote:

> * Don't model sockets on iostreams. They don't model non-blocking I/O
> correctly (see Jonathan Turkanis's recent posting on the evolution of
> the Boost.Iostreams interfaces). Simple methods called read and write
> should be sufficient.

I've been using some custom classes to manage sockets as streams, and
they proved to be very useful, simplifying the communication a lot.
Maybe this functionality could be available, but only when the
underlying socket is blocking (at least until Boost.Iostreams supports
asynchronous operation).

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84_at_[hidden]>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/