From: Jarl Lindrud (jlindrud_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-06 17:59:43

Iain Hanson <Iain.Hanson <at> videonetworks.com> writes:

> > Your position seems to be that programmers should not be afforded the option
of
> > choosing; they should just bite the bullet and always use CORBA. If they
don't
> > like that, then they should just avoid networking altogether.
>
> Personally I tend to prefer not letting programmers shoot themselves in
> the foot, if I can avoid it. Unfortunately, they ( and I sometimes ) are
> incredibly inventive at finding new ways to do so .

To sum up then, your position is that:

1) CORBA is the be-all and end-all of distributed programming.

2) Anything not projected to need CORBA-style scaleability is just a "toy" and
not worthy of library support.

I guess you don't find much need for networking at all in Boost? At least not
beyond lowlevel socket API wrappers and assorted utilites that might be useful
for something like realtime socket apps. Anything beyond that can, and should,
be done with CORBA, regardless of scale and scope.

/Jarl.