From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-06 19:37:47

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 22:59:43 +0000 (UTC), Jarl Lindrud wrote
> Iain Hanson <Iain.Hanson <at> videonetworks.com> writes:
> >
> > > Your position seems to be that programmers should not be afforded the
option
> of
> > > choosing; they should just bite the bullet and always use CORBA. If they
> don't
> > > like that, then they should just avoid networking altogether.
> >
> > Personally I tend to prefer not letting programmers shoot themselves in
> > the foot, if I can avoid it. Unfortunately, they ( and I sometimes ) are
> > incredibly inventive at finding new ways to do so .
> >

> To sum up then, your position is that:
>
> 1) CORBA is the be-all and end-all of distributed programming.
>
> 2) Anything not projected to need CORBA-style scaleability is just a
> "toy" and not worthy of library support.
>
> I guess you don't find much need for networking at all in Boost? At
> least not beyond lowlevel socket API wrappers and assorted utilites
> that might be useful for something like realtime socket apps.
> Anything beyond that can, and should, be done with CORBA, regardless
> of scale and scope.

Sorry I haven't had time to follow this whole thread, but I've written a few
Corba and distributed programs over the years and I think there is a place for
varying support levels. CORBA is way, way overkill for many simple
applications (retrieve a web page, register a product on a remote site, snap
some data from a server on startup, etc). There is hardly anyway to make a
CORBA application light weight, it introduces the idl compiler, a whole set of
new types, typically threading, etc. Also, the CORBA binding to C++ is a pain
in my view -- someone could redo it with modern C++ and things would be much
better, but I don't see anyone talking about that. But I digress. And Ian,
you should be happy that people are messing up distributed apps -- means more
employment for those that know how to fix things ;-)

As for RPC, I can see Ian's point -- it's a slippery slope. You can quickly
wind up reinventing the wheel yet again. That said, I think it's a line that
can be walked, so I think you should keep going. But this will undoubtedly
come up in the review, so you'll have to be really clear about the niche you
are filling.

Jeff

ps: I haven't had a chance to look at your library yet...