From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-06 22:56:28

Iain K. Hanson wrote:

> Thanks for the history that I've sniped. I understand fully what you
> mean. I have had the similar problems with my sockets library. The
> problem IMHO is a lack of meta-programming skills ( I've certainly
> suffered from ). However, Czarnecki & Eisenecker showed that C++ is
> Church Turring complete at compile time so as long as this conjecture
> holds it has to be doable.

I also have the suspicion that it is doable, or at least that a blended approach
is possible in which you get ruthless efficiency as long as you don't use
certain features. But I wouldn't draw to many conclusions from computational
completeness. There are still some things you can't do in metaprograms, such as
write "Hello World" to standard output. ;-)

Jonathan