From: Iain Hanson (Iain.Hanson_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-07 08:01:43

On Sun, 2005-03-06 at 22:59 +0000, Jarl Lindrud wrote:
> Iain Hanson <Iain.Hanson <at> videonetworks.com> writes:

> To sum up then, your position is that:
>
> 1) CORBA is the be-all and end-all of distributed programming.

No. Its just the best that we have available.

> 2) Anything not projected to need CORBA-style scaleability is just a "toy" and
> not worthy of library support.

Probably. But the problem is that people build quick and dirty apps that
grow like Topsy. Its the danger of this that make me against non
scalable solutions.

> I guess you don't find much need for networking at all in Boost? At least not
> beyond lowlevel socket API wrappers and assorted utilites that might be useful
> for something like realtime socket apps. Anything beyond that can, and should,
> be done with CORBA, regardless of scale and scope.

Doug Schmidt certainly tends to argue in this direction. However, given
that CORBA is not ubiquitous and is not ever likely to be then there is
always going to be a need for sockets.

/ikh