From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-07 10:30:55

Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:

> From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
>> "Jonathan Turkanis" <technews_at_[hidden]> writes:
>> >
>> > To sum up, I prefer Dave's original suggestion, the
>> > "[proposed/contemplated/suggested] Boost Interfaces Library".
>>
>> As far as I'm concerned, people can choose any one of the ways to
>> talk/type that makes it clear that it's not yet an official Boost
>> library. We don't have to all agree on a convention.
>
> The acceptable mailing list and documentation practices should be
> documented, no? A section under "Effective Posting" (in
> more/discussion_policy.htm) would be useful to document
> appropriate subject tagging as well as this point.

Good idea.

> Here's a suggestion for consideration:
>
> <H2>Effective Posting</H2>
> <H3>Subjects</H3>
> Always start your subject with <KBD>[boost]</KBD>. Many use that
> tag to filter incoming mail.

Overkill. NObody relies on that now because Boost mail doesn't
typically have that tag. People can sort based on Original-X-From or
Reply-To. Many of us read it in a GMane newsgroup and it would just
clutter our subject lines. Subject lines ought to start with the
library/topic name as you suggest below.

> If your post is regarding a specific
> Boost library, add a <KBD>[</KBD><I>name</I><KBD>]</KBD> tag,
> where <I>name</I> is the library name in all lower case.
>
> <H3>Referencing Libraries</H3>
> Boost libraries are named <I>Boost.Name</I> or <I>The Boost Name
> Library</I>,

We decided "library" was not part of of the name and should be
lowercased. Clearly "the" should be lowercased.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/110005

I suggest you fold this information into your suggested doc patch ;-)

> where <I>Name</I> is the full name of the library.
> Libraries that are candidates for inclusion in Boost, whether at
> the conceptual stage or in the review queue, can be referenced
> without the <I>Boost</I> modifier or with the addition of
> <I>Candidate, </I>as in <I>Boost Candidate.Name</I>

Seems contorted. What's wrong with

  Boost.Name candidate

or

  candidate Boost.Name

?

And why are you capitalizing "candidate?"

> or <I>The
> Candidate Boost Name Library</I>.

That's fine.

--