From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-08 11:17:37

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Victor A. Wagner Jr. wrote:
>
>> I'm suggesting that the work continue on the mainline towards release
>> and that anyone working on something OTHER than the release, work on a
>> branch. That way as long as we're playing with CVS the testers don't
>> have to do ANYTHING to their already functioning scripts. The only people
>> who will need to worry about weird labels will be those working on stuff
>> unrelated to the release.
>

> FWIW, I agree with Victor. I'd go further and state that the CVS should
> _always_ be kept in a release-ready form.

I'd *so* much like to see that. (Not only for running the test, which
would become significantly easier.) The actual release process would
become so much easier!

The sheer number of libraries that form Boost more and more requires a
more disciplined way of using CVS. Things like somebody checking in a
change that breaks other libraries without supplying the documentation
about how to deal with the breaking change should never happen. Of
course, progress needs to be saved even when the work isn't complete
yet. That's what you can use branches for.

Regards,