From: Aleksey Gurtovoy (agurtovoy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-08 20:35:44

Jonathan Turkanis writes:
> 92 - The captions "Plug it in", "Pieces that fit," etc. make the logos look
> cluttered; otherwise they look pretty good. However, I don't buy the explanation
> that the logo "at first appears to be a jigsaw puzzle piece" but can also be
> seen as people talking around a table:
>
> - no one will know that this is the intended interpretation unless
> they are told. Even if someone notices the alternate interpretation,
> there's no clue that this is intended

What's the clue in case of the FedEx's arrow?

> - the logo will *always* appear to be a puzzle piece; at best it
> will *also* appear to be people sitting around a table.

Sure.

> The problem with this is that "finding a piece of the puzzle" is one
> of the most overworked metaphors in English. (I don't know if this
> is true in other languages.)

It's not the metaphors of the logo, though. The puzzle piece is simply
a symbolic representation of a pluggable software component. If that
sounds plain, then it's a symbolic representation of a pluggable
software component born in discussions at the table that is also the
component itself ;).

--
Aleksey Gurtovoy
MetaCommunications Engineering