From: Dave Harris (brangdon_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-09 14:32:12

nesotto_at_[hidden] (Thorsten Ottosen) wrote (abridged):
> It's a pleasure to announce that the review of Daniel James' hash
> functions library starts today (8th of March) and ends the 12th
> of March.

I have some questions about the design.

First, why does hash_combine have a void result, and have side-effects on
its arguments? Wouldn't a pure, side-effect free function be better?

Second, why doesn't hash_range depend on the length of the sequence? For
example, the hash_range of { 12 } and { 0, 0, 0, 12 } are the same. I'd
rather they gave different results.

Thirdly, the hash values love producing 0. For example, hash_value( (char
*) NULL ) and hash_value( false ) are both 0. hash_combine on a range of
0s will produce another 0. Am I the only person who sees this as a
problem?

-- Dave Harris, Nottingham, UK