From: Caleb Epstein (caleb.epstein_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-09 14:33:13

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 16:25:34 -0000, Iain Hanson
<Iain.Hanson_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> In most, if not all messaging systems you do have connect to an end
> point. The remote server provides various QoS and you need to register
> your subject or channel and whether you are a push or a pull publisher.
> Oh 8-) I think I'm re-inventing the CORBA Notification service. What a
> surprise.

This is not how TIBCO RV works. You need to connect to the RV daemon
(which can be auto-started on your local host) but you do not need to
pre-register anything if you're using the normal "reliable" QoS.
There is no direct communication between subscribers and the
publisher. If a subscriber (or really its RV daemon) detects a gap in
sequence, it will request a retransmission automatically and, if the
message is still in-core on the sender side, the sending RVD will
resend it. I'd call this NAK-based processing and it is overall quite
effective.

With their Certified Messaging protocol, however, each subscriber
registers with the publisher and must ACK each message.

--
Caleb Epstein
caleb dot epstein at gmail dot com