From: David B. Held (dheld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-10 00:10:54

This should give some idea as to what I think of as a
"scalable logo" or a "scale-free logo". It's rather
crude yes, but that's partly the point. Instead of
rendering the word "Boost" in a nice font of the same
or some appropriate color, I shamelessly stole one from
another logo. The colors aren't really important, because
they aren't the point (a graphic artist could pick much
better colors). I don't know if rounded edges are better
or straight lines. And perhaps even this example has
more angles than I like in a scale-free logo. Perhaps
we could even do without the fins, I'm not sure. The
angles could be adjusted to be more pleasing. Now some
might say: "Well, Rene made an abstract looking rocket
too." And that is true. But Rene's rocket has some very
subtle features, like the edges near the flames, which is
an area of "high entropy" so to speak. My rocket has
no detail frills, and could easily be compressed to an
absurdly small vector file.

Perhaps something with a nonnegative amount of artistic
talent could play with the idea a bit without adding too
much information to the logo. I realize that the contest
is closed, but I'd like to explore a more simplistic
direction just to get an idea of some areas of the design
space that I don't think have been hit very heavily. I
don't intend the word "Boost" to be a necessary part of
the logo. I just think that in large-scale contexts, a
caption would be nice, whether it be on the side or the
bottom or a word or a phrase. Any takers?

Dave