From: Martin Wille (mw8329_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-10 12:05:28

Eric Niebler wrote:
> Inline ...
>
> Martin Wille wrote:
>

>> I now get these errors for gcc 2.95.3:
>>
>> regress.cpp:88: invalid operands `const
>> boost::foreach_detail_::auto_any_base &' and `int' to binary `operator
>> !='
>

> As I mentioned, gcc 2.95 accepts BOOST_FOREACH in some onstructs but not
> others. In particular, the compiler chokes when BOOST_FOREACH is in a
> function template, like above. Simpler uses are fine. I'd gladly accept
> a patch, but I'm not inclined to waste much more of my time on this
> ancient compiler.

I wouldn't have supported it in the first place :)

>> gcc-4 without #defines:
>>
>> /boost/head-regression/boost/boost/iterator/counting_iterator.hpp:32:
>> error: '(bool)(boost::is_integral<char>::value)' is not a valid
>> template argument for type 'bool' because it is a non-constant expression
>> ../../../boost/foreach.hpp:281: error: '(size_t)((-1))' is not a valid
>> template argument for type 'unsigned int' because it is a non-constant
>> expression
>

> Whoa. This is some pretty basic, legal C++ that gcc-4 is choking on. Has
> gcc-4 been released yet? If not, I'm going to wait for it to stabilize a
> bit.

No it hasn't been released, yet.

>> gcc 3.2.3 without defines:
>>
>> regress.cpp: In function `std::vector<int, std::allocator<int> >
>> to_vector_foreach_byval(Range&) [with Range = int[5]]':
>> regress.cpp:132: instantiated from here
>> regress.cpp:88: no match for `bool ?
>> boost::foreach_detail_::rvalue_probe :
>> int[5]' operator
>

> I'm guessing that defining BOOST_FOREACH_NO_CONST_RVALUE_DETECTION makes
> this go away? That's probably the right fix. It looks like gcc-3.2 is
> choking on the fancy rvalue detection stuff. I'll fix this.

Well, I'd consider gcc 3.2 not worth supporting. However, since you
asked for gcc 2.95 in your first message, I thought you might be
interested in the results for gcc 3.2, too.

Yes, the error goes away with BOOST_FOREACH_NO_CONST_RVALUE_DETECTION.
(The very same applies to gcc 3.1 and gcc 3.0.4)

Regards,