From: Thorsten Ottosen (nesotto_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-10 13:53:33

"Peter Dimov" <pdimov_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

| Simplistic benchmarks can't be used to evaluate the performance of a
| component; it should be benchmarked in its usual role.

right. I just stumpled about this parag. :

" Update(1): David C. wrote: I tested your hash function against all of the
popular ones, including Bob Burtles. It turns out it was not only the quickest
but had the best distribution (I created histograms of the chain lengths). The
architecture I work on is IBM Z/OS (S/390 mainframes). Well done mate, will be
using your code from now on! Ok, not exactly RISC, but at least this
demonstrates that this function is good beyond the x86 architecture. "

from http://www.azillionmonkeys.com/qed/hash.html

-Thorsten