From: Tony Juricic (tonygeek_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-10 20:18:05

Angus Leeming wrote:

> Don't know about the latter, but a real case where signals are perfect is
> to inform 'interested parties' when a child process has exited. Other
> asynchronous events also fit the bill perfectly here.

Why on earth would you use signals for that?

What's wrong with a simple list where you store interested parties and
then invoke the method on the object containing the list, method that
would walk the list and inform all the interested parties?

You are trading at most 50 lines of simple, debuggable code with
hundreds of lines of unfathomable, layers of layers upon layers of
templates of uber-complicated code that just manages to invoke a method
on a bunch of objects?

Really, my questions from the past post are in part rhetorical - that
is, I would like to use signals (hopefully some future, enhanced
variation) for GUI event notifications (across threads as well).

Tony