From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-12 08:20:03

"Gennadiy Rozental" <gennadiy.rozental_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On the other hand ....
>
> 1. Boost is about Excellency

I think you mean "excellence," your Excellency ;-)

> 2. Nothing prevent usage of the library. It's accessible. And in
> this particular case I noticed several support request in users ML

> 3. As well as rejection may lead to discouraging further efforts, so
> could acceptance do. Could you expect any major issues to be
> resolved once library is delivered?

> 4. In numerous case attempts to address any major issues results in
> complete new interface/design/implementation. Any users relying on
> accepted version would be disappointed. Also It most probable wont
> going to be reviewed as well (as it should be)

> 5. I really-really with somebody spent more time with std::string on
> drawing board. Maybe we wouldn't have as much issues now. Even worse
> now everybody kinda required to accommodate it's existing interface
> and, for example, this #^*%ing traits template parameter is
> spreading like plague around numerous designs.

The serialization library is a beautiful example of how a rejection
ended up being very positive for the library and for Boost. Whether
or not that experience can be replicated is another question. It was
certainly not easy for Robert.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting