From: Erik Wien (wien_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-20 19:23:01

Rogier van Dalen wrote:
>>[...] We
>>thought about using multi_index but (correct me if I'm wrong) wouldn't
>>that make is neccessary to fill the database at run-time? With
>>serialization, the overhead would probably not be that bad, but still.
>
> I think so, but I think hashing might give an enormous runtime
> performance gain. I'm not particularly knowledgeable in this area,
> just throwing in ideas on this.

Hashing would certainly be faster that the binary search we are using
now, but would we need to do that through multi_index (Or any other
run-time solution for that matter)? Wouldn't it be more efficient to
build the hash-table statically through the code generator we are using
now? You can't do lazy loading of the database and all that stuff that
way, but you would loose the dependency of an external file for the
database.