From: Erik Wien (wien_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-20 20:00:58

Daniel James wrote:
> Why should such a string class stop at unicode? Wouldn't it be a good
> idea to support other encodings? It might be better to have such a class
> as part of a separate library, probably with 'pluggable' encodings,
> which would include unicode.

That was the idea behind the "character_set_traits" class in the current
prototype. You could just implement the tratis for some other encoding,
and you'd be set. The problem though (and in my opinion it's a big one),
is that for the encoded_string class (and any iostream implementation
based on the same concepts) to be useable at all as a Unicode string
class, we would have to include a lot of functionality that is Unicode
specific. (Normalization is one example) What would we do with this
functionality for Shift-JIS?