From: Brian Braatz (brianb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-23 12:37:07

Some thoughts below

[mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]]
> On Behalf Of Doug Gregor
> Sent: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 8:23 AM
> To: Boost mailing list
> Subject: [boost] Why do we build debug variants of our compiled
libraries?

> Looking at the Jamfiles for Signals, Python, and the other libraries
in
> Boost that have compiled parts that users link against, I'm wondering
> why we create so many variants by default. Why would a user want to
> link against the debug version of Signals, for instance? The only
> reason I imagine would be to debug Signals, but I should hope that the
> average user does not need to debug that code.
>
> If I dig around /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib on my Mac, I only find
> optimized libraries: nobody else seems to bother building debug
> variants, so why should we?

[Brian Braatz Writes:]
At least when I use signals (and other libraries) I always build against
the debug for development. While I may not be debugging signals
specifically, I may be wanting to see:
        1- Signal calls on the call stack in my IDE
        2- How my code is using signals - i.e. the focus is on MY code,
but being able to step in and out of the signals stuff *=(or any boost
lib for that matter) helps me see how my code is working WITH it
        3- You may recall I am the same guy who occasionally
begs\whines\offers to wash your car FOR: some kind of metadata in
signals, I the reason is when you use this lib extensively, you may have
a hard time figuring out WHERE something came from. Occasionally, I step
into signals and look at the internal data to figure out where the slot
came from

> Anyway, my recommendation is that we stop building debug variants of
> compiled libraries by default. It's easy for the user to build them if
> they are really required.
>
> Doug

[Brian Braatz Writes:]
Are you just talking about when you do a bjam build of boost (or
specific lib)?
I use the debug from this mode, but would be happy to change my script
to pass in an extra param.

The NICE thing about the "build everything" model is it is a catch all
for peoples usage.