From: Alexander Terekhov (terekhov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-24 11:48:33

Jonathan Wakely wrote:
[...]
> N.B. libstdc++ had a compare_and_swap primitive until a couple of years ago,
> when it was removed because nothing was using it and it was a headache
> when porting libstdc++ to new architectures.
> I'm going to ask about the possibility of resurrecting that
> compare_and_swap(),

Do the right thing and tell'em to introduce atomic<> with IBM style
CAS (with msync decorators of course) and etceteras as lowest common
denominator (RIP i386). Arch specific stuff (like load_reserved()
and store_conditional() member functions) shall be available too
(less portability... but global warming matters, they say ;-) ).

regards,
alexander.