From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-24 11:53:40

From: David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]>
> Rob Stewart <stewart_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
> >> Well, my intention is to make things clear, but not to make people
> >> write/speak unnaturally. I don't want to be heavyhanded about this.
> >> I would like to see one other person agree with you that it's a good
> >> idea before including it in the document.
> >
> > I've heard from no one for or against my ideas, or yours for that
> > matter. Does anyone have an opinion on how this should be
> > codified? What do you think should be the official naming
> > convention?
>
> I don't have an opinion; I don't think we need an official naming
> convention. I just want people to distinguish accepted from proposed
> libraries in their speaking and writing. No need to make a big
> production of it.

It seems I took the ideas of the original discussion too far.
The consensus seems to be that folks just want to make sure a
library isn't named as if it's part of Boost, but they don't care
too much how that's done.

> > Let me know what you think should be our naming requirements.
> > Once we reach consensus, I'll create a diff for
> > more/discussion_policy.htm to capture them.
>
> The requirements should be "distinguish accepted boost libraries from
> things someone hopes will be in Boost, someday." Beyond that, I don't
> care.

Here's my take, then:
Library Names

Please avoid confusion between libraries that have been accepted by Boost and those that have not. Here are some suggested approaches to accomplish that (the first one is probably your best choice):

    * the LibName library
    * the proposed Boost.LibName library
    * the candidate Boost.LibName library
    * the your adjective here Boost.LibName library

Note that this naming only applies to discussions, not to the documentation, directory structure, or even identifiers in the code.

Below is the diff against the current discussion_policy.htm at
boost.org. I took the liberty of correcting the heading case for
several of the sections on the page, while I was there.

*** 32,43 ****
  <dl>
    <dt>Acceptable Topics<dd>
        <dt>Unacceptable Topics<dd>
            <dt>Effective Posting<dd>
                <dt>Prohibited Behavior<dd>
                    <dt>Culture<dd>
                        </dl>

! <h2><a name="acceptable"></a>Acceptable topics</h2>
  <ul>
    <li>Queries to determine interest in a possible library submission.</li>
    <li>Technical discussions about a proposed or existing library, including bug
--- 32,44 ----
  <dl>
    <dt>Acceptable Topics<dd>
        <dt>Unacceptable Topics<dd>
+ <dt>Library Names<dd>
            <dt>Effective Posting<dd>
                <dt>Prohibited Behavior<dd>
                    <dt>Culture<dd>
                        </dl>

! <h2><a name="acceptable"></a>Acceptable Topics</h2>
  <ul>
    <li>Queries to determine interest in a possible library submission.</li>
    <li>Technical discussions about a proposed or existing library, including bug
***************
*** 49,55 ****
  </ul>
  will let you know.</p>
! <h2><a name="unacceptable"></a>Unacceptable topics</h2>
  <ul>
    <li>Advertisements for commercial products.</li>
    <li>Requests for help getting non-boost code to compile with your compiler.
--- 50,56 ----
  </ul>
  will let you know.</p>
! <h2><a name="unacceptable"></a>Unacceptable Topics</h2>
  <ul>
    <li>Advertisements for commercial products.</li>
    <li>Requests for help getting non-boost code to compile with your compiler.
***************
*** 58,63 ****
--- 59,78 ----
      newsgroup instead.</li>
    <li>Job offers.</li>
    <li>Requests for solutions to homework assignments.</ul>
+ <h2><a name="lib_names"></a>Library Names</h2>
+ <p>Please avoid confusion between libraries that have been
+ accepted by Boost and those that have not. Here are some
+ suggested approaches to accomplish that (the first one is
+ probably your best choice):
+ <ul>
+ </ul>
+ <p>Note that this naming only applies to discussions, not to the
+ documentation, directory structure, or even identifiers in the
+ code.
  <h2><a name="quoting"></a>Effective Posting</h2>

***************
*** 137,143 ****
  the <a href="http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel">GMane
  web interface</a>.

! <h2><a name="behavior"></a>Prohibited behavior</h2>
  postings by abusers.</p>
  <h3>Flame wars</h3>
--- 152,158 ----
  the <a href="http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel">GMane
  web interface</a>.

! <h2><a name="behavior"></a>Prohibited Behavior</h2>
  postings by abusers.</p>
  <h3>Flame wars</h3>
*** 171,177 ****
  language, or abbreviations, they may not be understood by all readers.
  Re-read your message before submitting it.</p>

! <h2>Guidelines for effective discussions</h2>
  degenerating into a shouting match, and to actively encourage the cooperation
  upon which Boost depends.</p>
--- 186,192 ----