From: Andreas Pokorny (andreas.pokorny_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-28 14:35:30

It is a big problem to specify a fixed interface and implementation
for something diverse like a tree. There are so many aspects and
wishes that could be fulfilled.
  Jeff Mirwaisi bypassed that issue by extending the policy based
approach. Since Jeff is moving soon, and has no time to follow the
discussion I try to discuss in his name. Thus I uploaded treelib.tar.bz2
to the sf.net vault at.

http://boost-sandbox.sourceforge.net/vault/index.php

The tree type is composed out of a set of feature. A feature is a set of
fragment, or a single fragment. The feature type list is specified by the
user. `A fragment is a binary meta function that produces a step-wise
refinement of a base type by adding, hiding,overloading or overriding
member data and member functions resulting in an augmented version of
the base.' [JM05]. The user is allowed to add his own fragments, so it
is possible to change the internals even after the library has been
``shipped'' to the user. That is also the main difference to policy
based design, which would define a fixed set of extension points.

The library in its current state is not yet complete, erase methods, and
proper rebalancing of the different tree variants is missing.

Regards,
Andreas Pokorny

[JM05] gen - FOP Utility Library - Documentation of the feature oriented
programming utility library, which is currently part of the treelib
source code.