From: Peder Holt (peder.holt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-03-30 04:10:25

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:47:13 -0500, Arkadiy Vertleyb
<vertleyb_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> HI all,
>
> God only knows what else can be found inside this compiler if one is willing
> to dig real deep.
>
> For example, Igor' Chesnokov from RSDN (Russian Software Development
> Network) has found a way to implement typeof() that does not require
> registration, and probably has compile-time performance of a native typeof.
>
> How? Apparently, some weird "feature" of Visual C++ allowed him to twick a
> template body at the moment of instantiation, when additional context is
> available, thus "registering" classes on the fly, at the moment of taking
> typeof().
>
> Microsoft-specific "bugfeatures" are generally not in the area of my
> interests. However I do realize that, on the Microsoft compiler, this might
> look much more attractive then anything Peder and I have implemented. And
> even though I realize that this might be a serious competition, I would feel
> really bad not to mention this here:
>
> http://rsdn.ru/Forum/?mid=1094305
>
> Thoughts?

Wow. Very impressive. What a pity noone has thought of that earlier...
I have modified the current vintage implementation to use this form of
typeof, allowing it to compile with VC6.5 as well.

I guess this deprecates most of the vintage code, since that was
implemented in order to allow support of VC6.5 and VC7.0.

This actually makes it possible to properly implement remove_xxx for
VC6.5 and VC7.0 without any form of registration :)

Regards,
Peder