From: Martin (adrianm_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-05 01:47:41

> To me, an io error does imply some kind of failure, and a serious one at
> that. Remember that errors reported by the system API call (stat() or
> similar) have been analyzed, and those that clearly indicate existance or
> not are not treated as errors. What is left are error codes that represent
> either hard errors, or conditions which are ambiguous as to the true status.

I agree partly but there are 2 cases here.

1. The is_x are used as filter.
Since there is no filtering directory_iterator available you need to use the
is_x function to the filtering. In many cases you just want to iterate over
existing accesible files and/or directories, follow or ignore links. In these
cases a throw is an inconvenience since it complicates the code without any
gain.

2. The is_x functions are used to verify user input/configuration or program
logic follows different paths depending on result of is_x functions.
In this context I fully agree that io errors should throw an exception.

One solution is to keep the current throwing is_x function and add filtering
capabilities to director_iterator (e.g. itr->is_directory() or itr =
directory_iterator(path, files_only)). At least on Win32 this should be easy
since the status is directly availble from the findfirst/findnext functions.