From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-04-06 11:52:24

"Thorsten Ottosen" <nesotto_at_[hidden]> writes:

> "David Abrahams" <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote in message

> | > |

> | > but now you introduce the ADL lookup problem again.
> |
> | What is "the ADL lookup problem?"
>
> the problem that emerges when you want ADL to happen, but
> cannot use an unqualified call because it would create conflicts
> between
>
> boost::begin;
> sequence::begin
> foo::begin

You have to consider that problem in the context of the question, "how
likely is it that there will be no best match among those three?"

> | > How would I traverse a range in that framework?
> |
> | It depends whether the cursors are homogeneous (like iterators, the
> | usual case) or heterogeneous (a different type at each position).
>
> so heterogeneous means "compile-time" iteration?

Hybrid runtime/compile-time iteration. Generally it means full
unrolling of any loop.

> | The latter requires a recursive formulation; I won't go into it
> | here because it's not really relevant to what we're discussing.
> | The former looks like:
> |
> | end_cursor<S>::type finish;
> | for (begin_cursor<S>::type p = sequence::begin(s); p != finish; ++p)
> |
> | In either case, elements are accessed via:
> |
> | elements_type<S>::type e = sequence::elements(s); // the property map
> | value_type<S>::type v = e(p); // read
> | e(p,v); // write
>
> if e is a "map", then why dont you allow e[p] and e[p] = v ?

I allow it; I just don't require it ;-)

Function call syntax is good for interoperability (e.g. using
Boost.Bind). This insight is Doug Gregor's contribution. Using []
for current Boost property maps was probably a mistake.

Writing to property maps via

  e[p] = v

requires reference proxies in some cases, which is just unnecessary
complication.

> | > How does ADL lookup change in the new framework you're working on?
> | ^ ^^^^^^----- redundant ;-)
>
> redundant? you will use the existing iterators as cursors then?

I mean that "_A_rgument _D_ependent _L_ookup lookup" is redundant.
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
But yeah, in some cases I may use the existing iterators as cursors.

> | Only that sequences will be providing begin(s) and not
> | uglified_begin(s). I was going with "uglified" names like
> | sequence_begin() until I thought harder about Thomas' argument and
> | considered the likelihood of bad collisions to be low.
>
> it could fairly easily happen IMO. more and more code is put into
> header files qualified syntax hence becomes more important

Show me a realistic example, please. I am still in the early stages
and can change this element of the design if necessary.

> | > I don't see how it relates to the the proposed changes to
> | > boost.range which has as its main purpose to enable ADL lookup while
> | > using qualified notation.
> |
> | It's related to the argument that you only have to provide one
> | overload of begin/end.
>
> right, so it doesn't solve what I called "the ADL lookup problem".

I'm not sure there's as much of a problem there as you're making out.

> | > well, for vector<int> v; you can use v.begin() etc. for pair<I,I> p, you
> | > can use p.first etc.
> |
> | And what about a new range type that someone invents? Should they
> | really pick a different interface and not use something like the one
> | Boost.Range already provides for its ranges?
>
> So assume don't want to use boost.Range. They can use what ever syntax they
> want and call their functions
>
> namespace foo
> {
> iterator begin( X& );
> }
>
> Assume they later want to use boost.range, just provide a simple overload
>
> namespace foo
> {
> iterator range_begin( X& r ) { return ::foo::begin(r); }
> }

Right, but now they're just adding redundant interface. Why not just
use begin to start with?

> | > So I don't think that makes much sense; boost.range is a
> | > framework---either you use it or you don't.
> |
> | I repeat, go back and read Peter's posts in http://tinyurl.com/55j7b.
> | The framework ceases to own its concepts eventually.
>
> Was it the concept it its customizarion points?

No comprende.

> I recall it as it was the costumization points that a framework
> ceases to own.

The customization points and their expected semantics are what make up
the Range concept's requirements.

> begin() is a bad customization point

I'm not sure of that anymore. Conflicts caused by GCC can be
misleading. And now that we know how to properly isolate types to
prevent unintended ADL, I think it's even less of a problem.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting